Milton Glaser Booklet&Mobile Experience
Bring in a book that’s meaningful to me. And to make things easier, make a quick list of every part of it that I consider to be designed.
Favorite design detail of my chosen books.
Flat plan sketches
- “Art is whatever” spread should be placed with more thoughts (Milton Glaser is a designer who places every single aspects with a reason)
- More consideration needed in deciding the typeface(Impact does not seem suitable for him)
- Think about what explains his work & part of your designing at the same time
- Good mix of dark and bright is always helpful ( contrast)
3/16 Booklet Review
- Font for Years will better if it is changed to Stencil
- Rather than having middle align for paragraphs in Timeline spread, right or left align would be better
- Colors are getting there for “Less isn’t more; just enough is more” spread (try to explore more on this)
- For the same spread, it kind a looks empty and hollow (think about how to add patterns/show Milton Glaser’s work within the spread)
- Cover/end pages are kind a confusing (my point was to illustrate the idea of his life starting and ending)
3/18 Booklet Review
- Overall colors are working nice; but where can we see his work?style?
- Too much of his portrait
- How can you improve the cover pages that can deliver better/clear messages
- Yes, I get that his live started 1929 and ended 2020. But How can I make this more his style?
Things to think about
- How do I develop a grid that supports the spread?
- How can I design page spreads that are consistently inconsistent?
3/23 Second Booklet Review
- Yes, cover pages are imitating Milton Glaser’s logo. But does that color really represents him?
- Try to think about the poster that I created before & think about his art works ( does he only use a single color? or diverse/creative color palettes)
- Last spread(right before the end cover page) shows something interesting about layouts/design: Try to utilize this idea to other spreads too
- Think about how to balance between the usage of Helvetica and Stencil(how can stencil be unique(special)/not used for every quotes/parts)
- “03 — to be a designer” spread does not represent Glaser except the circles(part of his work) on the back. Why did I choose this red color? Why too saturated?(part to think about)
- “Less isn’t more; Just enough is more” spread does have great layout but how can I use more Milton Glaser’s colors?
- Gray squares on 04 left spread should be placed with more consideration/Why just simple black squares? This spread is interesting but does not communicate well with rest of the spreads.
3/25 Third Booklet Review
- No need to repeat footer for a spread
- Even though there are several art works on 02 spread, it seems empty.
- Middle spread (“Less isn’t more; Just enough is more) is interesting but still not communicative enough as much as other spreads
- 04 spread seems out of the blue. It is interesting and unique but does not remind Glaser’s art style
3/29 Outside of class booklet review
Things to consider
- What am I trying to achieve from each spreads?
- What spread explores more about Glaser?
- Am I trying to create a consistency?
- Is it too much or do I need more?
Print out Versions
3/30 Third Booklet Review
Milton Glaser Mobile Experience
Wireframe First sketch & V.1 Site Map
Digital Wireframe & V.2 Site Map
- 0:03sec-Overlay Menu bar looks interesting(does not cover the entire page and has good amount of negative spaces)
- 0:17sec-Timeline page seems unfinished and it looks like its theme does not really match with previous works(booklet/poster/website)
- 0:25sec-Having a separate hamburger menu page on the overlay menu bar can be confusing for the user (try to find a alternative way to combine this menu page with the main menu page)
Things to think about
- How can I trigger the user to click a certain area? Color? Animation? Size?
- What is good amount of text/image? How can I manage good amount of white space and information at the same time?
- How much information am I trying to show? Is the color matching the theme?
Digital Wireframe #2 & V.3 Site Map
- 0:10sec-White thin text might be hard to read over black background/ try to change the thickness
- 0:53sec-Timeline looks better than the previous one but how can I show more related theme with Glaser? Instead of just simple straight line of dates what can I do?
Final Mobile Experience